Thursday, November 27, 2008

Reading Notes, Week 13

No Place to Hide

This week's readings are of great interest to me. While the technological advances in information retrieval have been a blessing, they've also become quite burdensome because of security issues. These advancements work to our benefit for the most part, I think. But there are, of course, people out there who use their empowerment for criminal purposes, sometimes under the guise of "what's best for us."

The No Place to Hide website helps play more into the second part, in my opinion. Whether or not you disagree with motives for the PATRIOT Act, there's no doubt our privacy has been affected in adverse ways. Is it worth it? No in my opinion. I think this investigative website shows why.



TIA and Data Mining

This website run by the Electronic Privacy Information Center is concerned by the problems that No Place to Hide is, although I think it's less alarmist. The vast majority of the site is informational with less emphasis commentary, and, I think, allows the people more of an option make their own minds on the privacy issue.



You Tube Video

Apparently, this video has been removed because of copyright issues, so I can't review it.

In any case, I think this week's issues aren't just interesting, but important, relevant topics for anyone going into an information science career.

2 comments:

Justin Charles Hite said...

EPIC has a tendency to be dry, that's why they have trouble talking to ladies at parties. I agree that this is a very relevant and interesting issue. As I said, I know that the government has information about things that my friends and I have done, things that I wouldn't have thought much of, and I've done way more subversive stuff since then. So we've all got to take a long look at our lives and wonder what things might merit a federal investigation.

Susanna Woods said...

I too wondered about the alarmist nature of the No Place to Hide website. I use to think that these issues didn't matter unless you were breaking the law but my point of view has changed. People with common names or unpopular view points can be victimized through no fault of their own.
I viewed the video that was not required reading after I got the same message. Some interesting discussion of camera usage between the United States and Britain and the lack of impact on the committing of crimes.